After an unexpected and tumultuous year, Koskela is thrilled to unveil our Gomeroi Christmas celebration.
Every year, Koskela collaborates with an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander art centre to develop our Christmas theme. This year for the first time, we are working with an organization in our home state of New South Wales!
Yinarr Maramali is 100 percent owned and operated by female artists on Gomeroi country near Tamworth. The name Yinarr Maramali means made by women’s hands and there is a strong practice of weaving in the organization.
The talented artists are cultural custodians, teaching their craft and weaving stories through their creations. Every Yinarr Maramali purchase supports the artists and their Gomeroi community programs.
For Koskela’s Gomeroi Christmas celebration we licensed Dhinewangu Garay (Emu in the Sky), a painting by Amy Hammond. We have re-interpreted this painting in colours derived from dilly bags – woven works by the Yinarr Maramali artists. The colours found in these dilly bags are themselves inspired by local native birds.
This design adorns our wrapping paper, canvas totes and in-store banners. Our hope is it brings joy after what has been particularly challenging year.
Gift wrapping for $2
Get all your Christmas gifts wrapped for $2. Our lovely retail staff will wrap your gifts, tie them with string, affix a Koskela sticker, and include one of our beautiful gift tags per package.
All gift wrap proceeds will go Bush Heritage Australia. This is an independent not-for-profit that buys and manages land, and partners with Aboriginal people, to conserve our magnificent landscapes and irreplaceable native species forever.
2020 Christmas celebrations at Koskela
Australia has done an incredible job stopping the spread of COVID-19; however we still need to take precautions. While Koskela is very excited to celebrate Christmas, it will be a little different this year.
- We encourage you to shop with us online! Homewares delivery is FREE throughout Australia. Contactless Store Pick Up is also available.
- We are also welcoming you to the Rosebery store on Fridays and Saturdays. Our opening hours are 10am-4pm.
- Sadly, due to health risks Santa will not be able to visit us in-store this year.
- The Christmas sale will be online only. Sign up to Club Koskela to know when it’s happening.
- The Christmas show bag (ordinarily available during our in-store Christmas sale night) will also go online. Sign up to Club Koskela to know when it becomes available.
Do you have any questions? Get in touch today, and we will connect you with the right person in our team.
Koskela is proud to be the first furniture and homewares company in Australia to be a Certified B Corporation®.